Monday, November 25, 2013

Review of the Asus T100TA Transformer notebook

I have used my new "toy" for about two weeks now and I love it to bits. It is amazing how many different ways it transforms itself to suit my needs.

Form factor:
As a tablet, the screen itself weighs about 10% less than an iPad 3.
As a laptop, at just 1.44kg, it is about the lightest laptop you can find.
Assuming you are happy with a 10.1" screen (which I am), the display quality is impressive, albeit 1377x768 pixel in resolution and not full HD (but that's asking too much, considering I only paid less than AUD$600 for it). It even has touch screen.

Software:
It comes factory installed with Windows 8.1, and Microsoft Office Home Edition.
If you are into apps, Windows 8.1 has its app store to tap into.
If you are thinking of a Chromebook, just install Chrome and you can use it as a Chromebook.
For work, just switch into the regular Windows environment.

What makes this notebook particularly outstanding:
Processing speed. It uses the latest quad core Atom processor from Intel. I find this notebook performs just as well or better than my old desktop computer. Even when running photoediting in Lightroom.
SSD drive. In this age of cloud computing, who needs a large HDD drive? This notebook has 64GB SSD, which can be supplemented by another 64GB in a microSD slot. That is quite ample if you store your data in the cloud. I believe SSD is more robust than HDD when it comes to hauling the notebook around.

There is plenty more to say about why I so like the T100TA but I'll stop here before I drool over the keyboard.

No comments: