Monday, May 28, 2012

How to rescue dye stained clothes

After washing my load of clothes in the washing machine last night, I found that many of the pieces have been damaged by dye stain. This has happened before in the past and I had not been very successful with attempts to rescue them using bleach. I tried something different this time and it worked.

First I soaked the damaged pieces in hot water for about 1-2 hours, minus any suspect pieces that could have caused the dye transfer stains. I added a generous amount of Vanish Napisan to the soak.

Then I placed them in the washing machine to wash again. I set the washing machine to "Whites", which enabled the wash cycle to operate at 95C (normal cycle is 40C on my machine). Again, I used a generous amount of Vanish Napisan. It worked! All the stains were gone from every piece, even from those that looked hopelessly unrescue-able.

Pictured here: Napisan Vanish and some white clothes after rescue)



No comments: