Saturday, May 5, 2012

Facebook bares all (you, that is)

I have just found out that when you are on Facebook, any advertisement or website that you click may be tracked and displayed to all and sundry.

Go to your Facebook wall. Somewhere on the page you will find a section called "Recent Activity". That section displays your digital fingerprint! I don't know how long Facebook has introduced this. I am shocked that such blatant intrusion into personal privacy has gone unchallenged. Fortunately I am not a big Facebook user and I have been using Blogspot to share my thoughts, rather than have Facebook come behind my back to snoop for information about me.

As an immediate response, I went to my "Privacy Settings" and "Account Settings" and disabled as much of the personal intrusions as I could. I don't know how much that will help. The best protection is to keep personal information to a minimum when socializing on Facebook.

No comments: