Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why video calls will never become mainstream

Many people use Skype and Facetime to make video calls with family members. I doubt though if many make video calls to friends and acquaintances. It is just not very practical. I love being able to see my son when I talk to him, but I would rather have a simple voice-only conversation with anyone else outside the family.

When the phone rings, the natural reaction is to answer it without a second thought. Not so with a video call. If you happened to be in the bedroom, it is like you are bringing the caller into your bedroom. Imagine the embarrassment if you happened to be indecently dressed or your room is in a mess! Video calling is very intrusive and it will never replace the plain old voice-only calls which Alexander Graham Bell invented in 1876, more than a century ago!

No comments: