Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Christmas message

John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I have always wondered how can we tell how much God loves us. That's just what the Bible says, isn't it? Is the love of God only a mantra to be repeated mindlessly to convince ourselves?

There is one way to know the depth of God's love. As a parent, I know. You see, I love my children very much. I love them so much that I would do anything for them, unless it is something that will bring hurt to them eventually. I would willingly bear their pain for them, if there is any way to do so. And so it is with God's love. God so loved the world, that He sacrificed His only begotten Son, in order to save us from eternal damnation.

I used to enjoy the tradition of Christmas: the carols, the Christmas tree, the bright and colourful lights, the Christmas dinner, etc. As years passed, celebrating Christmas has become less and less of an exciting event. Perhaps it is time for all of us to awaken to the true meaning of why we are celebrating Christmas. It is a time to remember God's love by spreading it around, remembering people we seldom see (those far away), and seeing people we seldom notice (the lonely and the needy).

1 comment:

Mama said...

Great stuff! Agree.