Thursday, June 2, 2011

About politicians

Generally people seem to like having their picture taken with a politician. The higher up the politician is, the more treasured is the picture. I used to think that way too, but as I grow older, my disdain for politicians also grow. At least, for many of the present generation of pollies. Considering that many of them are outright liars who care more about winning and keeping their seats than about true public service, why should anyone be proud to be seen with them?

Take Wayne Swan for example. He claims that the economy is bouncing right back, immediately after reporting that Australia is having its sharpest quarterly decline in 20 years. He says household saving, at 11.5%, is at the highest level since the mid 1980's. From what I have heard, people ARE afraid to spend, in anticipation of bad times to come. He says our economy is set to grow by 4% in 2011-2012. I think he is intentionally misleading the public.

Julia Gillard is just as bad. She pledged not to introduce the carbon tax during the election, but look what she is doing now? She is also going to be remembered as the PM who created the hugely expensive NBN, which dwarfs even what the US has ever attempted to do for high speed internet connection.

Whatever happened to Premier John Brumby who always wanted to be a great statesman? He will be remembered for irrevocably committing Victorians to the possibly unnecessary desalination plant at Wonthaggi, at a whopping cost of $400 per year to every household (which of course will be squeezed out of your pocket one way or another). Brumby has completely disappeared from public scene now. I hardly think a great statesman can ever disappear from public life. Brumby proved me wrong; he did that in record time.

So would I care to have my picture taken with a politician? Perhaps only if he asks me nicely.

No comments: