Friday, March 4, 2011

Mini Wireless Keyboard N5901 (AUD$99)

I have recently commisioned one of my old computers to use as a media center. One of my old computers has been upgraded with a new VGA card (~AUD$50), so that I can use my big screen TV as the display. I can now watch Youtube, play DVD's, or make Skype video calls. It is quite a different experience than doing all these things at the desk top.

The only other thing I really needed to complete my media center was to be able to use the keyboard and mouse wirelessly from the couch. Today I found exactly what I have been looking for. It is a mini keyboard that incorporates a trackball mouse. It handles just like a remote. In fact, after a bit of handling you would think of it as a remote rather than a keyboard. It connects to the PC wirelessly via a USB nano dongle. And it works right out of the box.

The beauty of this gadget is that it is small enough to operate on one hand. It has all the keys that are found on a regular keyboard, plus multimedia keys for sound volume, play, pause, etc. The USB nano dongle can be kept in a holding slot in the battery compartment if storage is required. It uses just 2 AAA batteries, and there is a switch to turn the keyboard off to prolong battery life. I am convinced this gadget is just the thing everyone needs to truly enjoy multimedia PC from the couch.


No comments: