Monday, January 31, 2011

Gardening - hobby or housework?

Here is a picture of the flower bed in front of my house. I can't take the credit for the plantings; I just keep the garden going by doing what is necessary: weeding, pruning and fertilizing. I see gardening as routine work, not unlike any other housework.

There is a general misconception among many Asians I have met (I can't say for sure about other cultures). Many of my friends think that I love gardening just because I don't mind doing the routine upkeep work. Also, whenever I try to get my children to help, they tell me gardening is not their hobby (as if they are doing me a favour by not taking away my fun!). Of course, some people treat gardening as a hobby, but to me it is just outdoor housework. If you have a garden, routine upkeep is as much an option as sweeping your floor or cleaning your dishes. You do it because it is housekeeping; simple as that.

No comments: