Monday, December 27, 2010

When to be compassionate?

A video news report is currently going around in the internet about a burqa-wearing woman who laid a false accusation charge against a policeman in Sydney. On 7 June 2010 she was pulled over and subsequently issued a summon. Luckily for the policeman, the actual scene was caught on the police video and the woman was sentenced to 6 months in jail. She lied in her statutory declaration and she declared that the policeman tried to rip off her burqa. The video proved otherwise. She is out on bail now pending appeal. A spokesman from the Australian Islamic Association said she should be shown compassion for the sake of her 7 children. The reporter said the accused did not show compassion on the policeman. And, may I add, his career and life would have been ruined, along with his family's as well.

This brings me to a question. Should the woman be shown compassion and be let off without a jail sentence? While I teach me children to repay good for evil; this incidence causes me to pause and wonder.

Reflect upon the parable of sheep and goats:
"Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ " (Matthew 25:41-43)

I will still teach my children to repay good for evil, but tread with wisdom.

No comments: