Thursday, November 25, 2010

Computer breakdown

I admit I didn't give much thought to the possibility of my computer breaking down. I pride myself in having an automated daily backup of all my files. I even do a periodic image backup of my C drive. Unfortunately, I have to accept the fact that my computer has now reached its end of life. It is dead. It started showing signs of deterioration a couple of weeks ago- a flicker here and there, unexpected slow down, etc. Now I have to admit it is time to move on to another computer. Although I am glad my files are all safe, I am not looking forward to re-installing all the programs and my favourite settings. As things go, the breakdown has to come at the most inconvenient time when I have a million and one things to do on the computer.

A moment of reflection: I have to admit the computer has become the single most important tool I have. Without it, I lose my regular contact with the outside world (email), my daily source of news and information (www), my electronic filing system, my digital darkroom (Lightroom and Photoshop), and my home financial management system (i.e. bill payments). Indeed, my life would need a major readjustment in order to go back to living without the computer. Would yours?

No comments: