Saturday, March 20, 2010

www.photomalaysia.com

It is becoming a norm these days to do a certain amount of touch up on the photos we shoot. It is hard to draw a line to distinguish what is real photography skill and what is simply digital manipulation skill. A photographer who has zero skill in rudimentary post processing is increasingly left behind in this day and age. On the other hand, there is no limit to what one can do with digital manipulation.

A couple of days ago I looked at some of the online albums of great photographers I have bookmarked. For the first time many of the photographs that I used to admire I now see in a different light. Many are obviously photoshopped and the resulting image would not be possible on a camera alone. I begin to have new found respect for the photos in websites such as www.photomalaysia.com. Some of the images in this website are really good and not heavily post-processed. Of course, there are also many images ranging from beginner stuff to highly manipulated ones, but it was refreshing to me to find many impressive ones that could have come straight from the camera. Kudos to photographers in Malaysia.

No comments: