Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Observe the human spirit

What do you see when you look at a whole bunch of people? I was waiting to pick up my daughter from her school the other day. I watched the young people streaming out of school. I heard their laughter and the excited voices chatting away. Under a tree, a group of them were singing the happy birthday song to one of the mates. Only this time, I observed something more. I observed the human spirit behind the faces. No, I am not psychic. I am talking about the energy that is outwardly expressed in action or expression. The next time you are in a public place, look at the spirit of the people there. You can feel the energy bursting forth from the schoolchildren. You can see subdued spirit in the sick or unwell. You can see sadness in those needing comfort. In the case of depressed people, you will see a lack of spirit, as if there is no life in the person. Then you will appreciate all the noise your children make at home. You'll be grateful for the occasional sibling quarrels, for this demonstrates a strong spirit. There is nothing more pitiful than having a spiritless life. Without the spirit, there is no life.

No comments: