Monday, June 22, 2009

An appreciation for RAW files

Up until now, I have not been able to truly appreciate what I can do with a RAW file. I mean, I know what a RAW file is (see explanation below)*. But does it really make much difference? I decided to learn more about it today. Am I glad I did!

Of course, you cannot do any adjustments on Exposure, ISO, Focus, Shutter Speed, and Aperture once that has been set in the camera. However, after an image is captured, a RAW conversion software allows you the flexibility to change the settings for white balance, tint, contrast, sharpness, saturation, and brightness at a later stage. While many of these adjustments can also be done on a JPEG file using a regular photo editing software, I have found that white balance is best fine-tuned in a RAW file. There is just no equivalent adjustment in a photo editing software (available adjustments are: Hue, Variations, Color Balance, Photo Filter).

The other adjustments (e.g. saturation, exposure, brightness), while available in a photo editing software, are much easier to make at RAW level. The RAW image file has a much richer range of colour information to play with. After all, RAW files are much bigger than JPEG files for a very good reason. RAW files are recorded in 12-bit or 14-bit, whle JPEGS have been compressed down to 8-bit, which gives you only 256 levels of tonal range. Guess what? I think I am going to start shooting serious pictures in RAW from now on. Photoshop is still useful, but I think I am missing half the picture (so to speak!) if I do not shoot in RAW. I am really excited about the prospects!

Note........
*RAW: this is the unprocessed data captured by a digital camera. Depending on the manufacturer, it could be named .NEF file, or .CRW, or .CR2 file, etc. For most consumer range cameras, the image captured is a JPEG file, which has been processed by the camera's CPU from raw data. Higher range cameras has the option to shoot in RAW format, which requires a RAW convertor for the picture to be viewed. Many RAW convertors also gives you the ability to make adjustments to the image, such as birghtness, contrast, white balance, etc.

No comments: